Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Becoming Angels


It has taken a while to write this post because I wasn't sure what I wanted to say or I suppose, how to say it. 

It has been two weeks since the tragic accident that took the lives of my Aunt Shannon and cousin Theresa. I haven't spoken about it because I needed some time to process what happened. 

I was not extremely close with my Aunt Shannon and cousin Theresa because we didn't live in the same area. However, we kept in contact with each other on Facebook. Those memories of us talking on facebook are ones I'll hold on to for forever. 
 Last fall (October 2011) I went with my father (my Aunts brother) and stepmom up to Winthrop, WA to stay in the Sun Mountain Lodge. It was the lodge that my Aunt had worked at, she was kind enough to get us a good deal at the lodge which was extremely generous. On our last day up there we (Aunt Shannon, cousins Theresa & Juan, Theresa's baby Christian, Sandy - stepmom, my dad, and I) went to dinner. The picture above is one of a couple pictures I took that night.

It makes me sad to think that the dinner was the last time that I would see my aunt and cousin and it would be the last picture that my dad was able to take with his sister. No matter how hard it has been on me it has been worse for aunts siblings, my grandma, and my cousins (my aunts children). There is nothing I can say that would make them feel any better but I hope they know that I love them and that I am always here for them. 

If this has taught me anything, it is that life can be cut short anytime and we need to learn to appreciate all that is around us. 

“Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger. Forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart.”
Jim Henson 

Until Next Time 

xxkels

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that Kels :( Hope your doing okay!
    One of the great mysteries of life is how long we are going to be here with our loved ones. It does make you learn to appreciate everyone and everything around you. Loved the quote you gave- we can't afford to get hung up over little things others do (esp loved ones) because we don't know what is going to happen in the future. So we need to forgive ourselves of those shortcomings and embrace life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mary, I truly appreciate your friendship. love you!

      Delete